Glendalough Co. Wicklow Part 2

Priests' House

The priests' house was completely reconstructed from a sketch made by Beranger in 1779. It is a small Romanesque building with a decorative arch at the east end. The house may have been used to house relics of St Kevin. It is called the priests' house following a tradition of burying priests there during the penal times.

St Kieran's Church

The remains of St Kieran's Church were uncovered in 1875. In the annals for the year 1163, the burning of this church is noted. This St Kieran may be the founder of Clonmacnois whom St Kevin visted at the time of his death.

The Cathedral

The Cathedral stands on a plateau of rising ground in the centre of a valley. There were serveral phases in its construction.

The Cathedral

St Kevin's Cross

A few metres south of the Cathedral stands an early cross of granite often called St Kevin's Cross. It may have marked the boundary of the cemetery in which stands the priests' house.

St Mary's Church

St Mary's or Our Lady's Church is the earliest and best constructed of the churches. The soffit of the lintel is inscribed with an unusual saltire cross.

Glendalough Continued on Next Page

Photos taken by Fr Aquinas T. Duffy